Saturday, October 22, 2011

What is it about red shoes? Hans Christian Anderson's girl couldn't stop dancing in them, I can't stop drawing them....

Lots of interesting things happened this week. I accepted a new job, I helped my co-workers meet a frantic deadline at my current job, I got my spare room ready for another teenager moving in, and I received my first check for my freelance illustration business. And I received a blog award (more about that in the next post.) So with all this is going on, what was most prominent thing on my mind? Red shoes. Or more specifically, drawing pictures of red shoes.

Which goes to show…. um....what does it go to show? It shows that apparently what is going on externally with me has very little connection to what is going on internally. On a whim, I did one picture of a me-like person wearing red heels and reading a book. Complete fantasy by the way. In real life I have a crippled toe joint and cannot even walk in high heels.


Then a friend asked me to do a picture of her wearing red shgoes, and another friend, Michael Ann Riley, mentioned Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz in her blog (http://thinkinginmyheadma.blogspot.com/), and I was off on a series.

I’ve always loved red shoes. Maybe it goes back to that spring day when I was four and we had just moved into our new house in the suburbs with the the giant back yard. I was in the back yard and through the chain link fence I saw a fascinating scene in the back yard next door. There was a tire swing hanging from a big maple tree and next to tire, there on the grass, I zeroed in on a pair of tiny red T-strap shoes. I wanted desperately to meet the girl who belonged to those shoes. 

The owner of the red shoes came to my door a short time later, holding her mother’s hand. Her name was Karen and she was three, a few months younger than me. We became the best of friends. But I never got shoes like hers. I colored all the shoes red in my coloring books and have loved red shoes ever since.

Recently, as I began drawing pictures on this theme, I remembered a story by Hans Christian Anderson called "The Red Shoes." I looked it up and read a translation of the original. The story is not quite as charming as the title would imply – more like a combination morality/horror tale. The red shoes of the title become the obsession of a little orphan girl (whose name, it turns out, is Karen) and she thinks about them when she should be thinking about church or being obedient to her guardian. The obsession gives life to the shoes and when the girl puts them on her feet they begin dancing and will not stop, with decidedly unpleasant results. Read it if you dare. Complete translations are in the public domain and available on the Internet.

There are some newer kinder versions of this story. One is The Red Shoes by Gloria Fowler and illustrated by Sun Yung Yoo and another is The Red Shoes by Barbara Bazilian. One reviewer, Donna L. Scanlon, says of Bazilian’s book, "Bazilian's tale bears so little resemblance to the original that one wonders why the reteller bothered to use it at all." I don’t wonder at this at all. I don’t think there is much of a market these days for books about a child getting her feet cut off by an executioner…..

Anyway, there is something magical and maybe a little decadent about red shoes, and they are a lot of fun to draw and paint. Here are some more pictures inspired by the theme…..
My favorite dress
Day at the art gallery
Dancer



10 comments:

  1. There is something about the color red. My favorite car I ever owned was volcanic red. And I just bought a red sweater and people were complimenting it before I even brought it up to the register. The color draws your attention. It's bold. I can see why you'd want to include red shoes in your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your drawings, Carol. Tjhanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! It's great that you're still doing these. When we were college roomies, I remember all your class notes had doodles in the margins. You could draw them and still keep track of what was going on in class. I could have never done that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol !!! I had no idea you could draw and I just followed the link over here. I'm blown away and just tweeted it. So gorgeous. I'm wanting to plan a new blog design and wish I could decorate the whole thing in your drawings. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori - Thank you so much for your nice words and the tweet! If you see any pictures you like for your blog, just let me know. You see more pictures on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1350172928#!/pages/Carols-Notes-and-Doodles/169701553073452. All I ask if that you credit me with a link to this blog (trying to build my illustration business). If you need a specific picture, please feel free to email me at cj@carolsnotes.net.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! Love the story of your neighbor Karen, and also the mention of the Hans C.A. Oh, and thanks for the link to my blog :-) So...I'm impressed, you already have your first check from you illustration business? Is it for greeting cards? How exciting! And is the new job a good thing? I hope so! Happy for you!

    My fav is the Spanish dancer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Michael Ann! The first check was for a logo I designed for a non-profit organization. The new job is an excellent thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping in at my blog and commenting! Thisred shoe series is great..reminds me of the Bowie song!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother loved red shoes. She was a square dancer and danced in them. Then when she could no longer dance, she bought a pair of SAS shoes and lived in those. They were, of course, red. Love your art!

    ReplyDelete