Saturday, October 1, 2011

This dog keeps showing up in my pictures

This brown puppy keeps showing up in my pictures. Maybe it's because I love my dogs and keep wanting to write about them, but usually repress the urge and try to write about "more important" things. So the dog shows up when I go into auto-mode and draw.
Puppy with tulips
After reading Temple Grandin's book Animals in Translation I am beginning to think that for many people, there is not much more important than our dogs. Temple Grandin is an animal behavior scientist and professor at Colorado State University who is also autistic. I've never read a book that has given me better insight to lives of animals and as I read the book, I could even begin to imagine how they see the world.

I began appreciating and understanding my dogs even more and even got some tips on better ways to pet and speak to them. Their wildly enthusiastic reaction to my new short firm petting technique indicates that Grandin really knows what she's talking about. Grandin talks about why she believes that autism gives her her a special insight to the minds of animals, and shows how her experiences is backed up by recent brain research.

Dogs have always been an important part of my life: Jiggy (1970-1977), Casey (1980 - 1994), Freya (1988-1989 - tragic story), Petra (1990 - 2006), and my current dog friends, sibling Springadors Cocoa and Pippin (2006 - _____). I know I am not supposed to have favorites. I love them both, but it seems all the pictures below look a lot like Cocoa.... I will have to have a concerted effort to draw some that look like Pippin.

Puppy love

A special connection

Berry picking
* * * * *
So here they are: meet Cocoa and Pippin, my inspirations and creative companions. You can probably guess which is which. They do me such an important service, keeping silent company yet encouraging me when I sit down to write for draw. I'd have a harder time getting into the zone without them. For one thing, they have inserted themselves comfortably into my writing and art routines, and it's hard to resist their expectant little faces, expecting their snacks as I sit down with my notebook and coffee. They know exactly when I am getting reading to sit still and work. They love their routine and that makes me want to stick to mine.

Our Springadors, Cocoa and Pippin

5 comments:

  1. "A Special Connection" reminds me of Corduroy and Lisa. I love that book. Of course Corduroy was a bear, not a dog. But there's a definite resemblance there. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw..... great drawings and I can see they really inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last dog was a Lab mix, I can relate to the love and inspiration they give you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only had a dog by default, actually. My sister had it as a puppy and my mom told her it was okay and changed her mind. I ended up with the puppy that turned into a dog. Well, having her helped me to get over my fear but I can't say it's gone altogether. I don't think my subconscious would have me painting dogs but you do a fine job of it. So cute and playful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pup drawings, and pups too - I love how they're in tune with your routine (wish mine was lol). I've always had them too, with only a one year gap...and that was a horrible year! Looking forward to seeing some of Pippin!

    ReplyDelete