Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Drawing on Post-its in "Auto-Mode"

I would never suggest that there is any comparison between me and Michelangelo, but I understand what he meant when he said he said, "Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it." I feel that way about Post-its. Every blank Post-it has a picture in it and it is the doodler's job to find out what it is. There is just something about drawing on a Post-it that frees you up to draw without taking yourself one bit seriously. When I draw on more formal art paper, I tend to put a little more thought into it, and pictures come out in a different style.
Georgia
A friend who used to collect some of my Post-it art once described  my style as "Contemporary Primitive." I'm pretty sure he made that up, but I guess that might be an okay description of some of my art, usually the kind that I do without conscious thought, in what I think of as auto-mode. All of the pictures shown in this post were drawn in auto-mode. When in auto-mode, I may be thinking about something, but I am not consciously thinking about what I am drawing. I simply let my fingers seek out the the picture that is "there." What I often find is there is a face, almost always a female face. I can draw males, but I have to out some conscious effort into it. When drawing automatically, the pictures that come out are decidedly female.

Novice
If you want to try it, gather a stack of Post-its and a collection of art supplies that you find appealing. I like to use markers, color pencils, and Sharpie pens.You might try it when you are on the phone or watching TV or talking to someone at the kitchen table. Or you might just look out the window and daydream as you doodle. As a writer, I tend to drift into doodling when I am tired of thinking and need to clear my mind for a while. You'll be surprised at what materializes on the previously boring blank Post-it! If drawing just doesn't work for you, you might get one of those fancy color books with the exquisite pictures, and just color!

Juliet
Drawing is not the only thing that can happen in the effortless zone. I've heard some people can get into such a zone when running. Some people can bake bread or cook in auto-mode or play piano or write a story. I don't suggest we should all become zombies and do everything in a daydreamy daze. But it can be so refreshing to let your right-brain take the steering wheel for a while.

7 comments:

  1. I write this way, and wish I drew this way also. I love your pictures Carol and feel sure there is a market for them. Maybe a book about sisters (I'm thinking young teenager.) They're just so lifelike and likable, the complete opposite of those skanks my teenage daughter and I used to joke about, Bratz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post-it art! Your work actually falls into the folk art genre. Look up Faith Ringgold. She's the one who comes to mind right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Elizabeth. I appreciate the ideas. I'm trying to find some uses for my artwork. Thanks for the suggestion Totsymae! I will definitely look up Faith Ringgold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me want to try it!! My son used to like to make cartoons on books of post-its. You know the kind where each drawing moves the cartoon along so it looks like the characters are really moving? Post-it tablets are great for the quick page flipping required.

    Do you use markers, sharpie and colored pencil all in the same drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael Ann - My son used to do that too - the flip books with Post-its! I had forgotten about that. I often sometimes use markers, sharpie, and colored pencil in the same drawing, and other times I use one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol! I love your new blog so much, I want everyone to know about it. I have given you an award! (actually 2) Come visit my blog for all the details :-)
    http://thinkinginmyheadma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Carol. I found you via SheWrites and Michael Ann's post. Your drawings are so vivid and engaging!

    A blank Post-it note to draw on sounds more intimidating to me than even a blank screen to begin my next blog post. Shiver. But I do relate to your theme of being freed up to create in auto-mode. In my case, it's when I have a select heap of textiles in front of me, waiting to be "sculpted" into my next wearable art piece. I find it more conducive when there are pre-existing elements to arrange and change rather than when I have to start from nothingness.

    ReplyDelete