Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fun with Gimp: Start with your hand drawn art and apply filters to make something new

For years I got to use Adobe products at work and fell in love with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator and I dream of someday owning the whole Adobe Creative Suite at home. When that happens I also hope to be able to afford all the Ikea studio furniture I want including lamps and a new house with a sunny studio overlooking a beautiful mountain scene.... Yes, I have some ideas of what heaven might be like whenever I get there.

But right now the pricetag is a little steep and we have other priorities for our spending money. Thank goodness for freeware. For about a year I have been discovering the pleasures of Gimp, an image editing program comparable to Photoshop, and am still exploring its amazing capabilities. Best of all it's FREE.

At first I just used Gimp to crop and sharpen up my photographs, but lately I have been discovering its art potential. The only only problem is that once I start playing with it I can sucked into into vortex for hours. Here's an example of the fun you can have with Gimp.....

I drew this lady (I think she must a teacher) with markers and color pencil on a Post-it, and scanned it to a digital image:
Then I used Gimp tools to make her sharper and brighter and applied a filter called Selective Gaussian Blur to make her skin nice and smooth:


Then I got a crazy and applied another filter. (Gimp has 16 types of filters, each with different options and then options within the options.)  The filter I used for this picture is called Polar Coordinates, found in the Distorts menu:

I like how the window appears in her head, a metaphor for thinking of new ideas perhaps. How many software programs can give you visual metaphors you weren't even looking for? Just part of of the serendipity of doing art.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this! I've been looking for a program like Photoshop but without the cost. This is perfect. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, You've been a busy girl. A new blog, and how amazing! I've never taken time to play with any of that (nor computer games), but now I can learn something from you. All I need is some time.

    And I left you a post on my blog :D
    http://blogofavetswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's what Gimp is! Looks like fun. I could see where it would be hard to know when to stop messing with stuff though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I'm learning Gimp now. Here are some videos I'm watching: http://sixrevisions.com/graphics-design/gimp_video_tutorials/

    ReplyDelete